[ESIP-AQ] [polcomm] Guest column

Rudolf Husar rhusar at me.wustl.edu
Sat Feb 14 19:08:05 EST 2009

Hello Mohan,

Your column on the Unidata
vision<http://www.ucar.edu/communications/staffnotes/guest/mohan.php>is
inspirational, timely and provocative. Thank you for sharing.

It is *inspirational*, not only for the current Unidata community but also
to other related fields, so I am passing your piece on to our community of
researchers and practitioners in air quality.

Publicly expressing the vision of dynamic, participatory data systems 'by
the community, for the community" is indeed most* timely*. Transitions in
that direction are 'in the air' and the strong winds of change can indeed
carry not only Unidata but other fields to a more productive Earth Science.

However, your piece is also *provocative*. Beyond the vision, one also needs
ubiquitous enabling tools and methods,  a robust sharing-collaboration
infrastructure and a culture that embraces the change. I am sure that the
25-year leadership of NSF and Unidata in all these areas will guide the next
stage of evolution in the more intertwined world of tomorrow.

May the Force be with you.

Best,

Rudy

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Steven Businger <businger at hawaii.edu>wrote:

> Mohan,
>
> Very nice column in which you provide a proactive view of an evolution
> path for Unidata that is exceptionally community enabling, in keeping
> with Unidata's remarkable history. I look forward to seeing how this
> unfolds. Thanks for sharing.
>
> Best wises and Happy Valentine's Day, Steven
> On Feb 14, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Mohan Ramamurthy wrote:
>
> > Dear Policy and Users Committee members,
> >
> > At the invitation of the UCAR Communications staff, I wrote a guest
> > column on Unidata's vision for future data services. I thought you
> > might
> > be inerested in reading the column, which appeared earlier this week
> > in
> > Staff Notes, a newsletter for UCAR staff and retirees. The column
> > can be
> > read online at:
> >
> > http://www.ucar.edu/communications/staffnotes/guest/mohan.php
> >
> > Mohan

Rudolf B. Husar, Professor and Director
Center for Air Pollution Impact and Trend Analysis (CAPITA),
Washington University,
1 Brookings Drive, Box 1124
St. Louis, MO 63130
314 935 6099