[ESIP-AQ] ESIP Air Quality Cluster Meeting 4-5 PM US Eastern THIS Thursday 25 May 2023

frazmo frazmo at gmail.com
Tue May 23 16:15:59 EDT 2023

 Dear AQ Cluster members: We will hold our monthly Cluster meeting this
Thursday, 25 May, 4-5 PM US Eastern.

The planned agenda:

* Introductions/round robin

* Further planning for the now-confirmed Air Quality Cluster session at the
upcoming July 2023 ESIP Summer Meeting. Meeting info at:

https://www.esipfed.org/meetings

*The working title for the session is: "*Workshop: How Can Large Language
Models and Chat Tools Help Communities Find, Access, Understand, and Act
Upon Air Quality Information?"

Draft session information is appended below. This is subject to refinement
based on group input.

*Zoom Link for 5/25 meeting:*

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89875556681?pwd=eGNaRzMrdmRTZHJlWFFYc3R4MEduQT09

Meeting ID: 898 7555 6681

Passcode: 347067

One tap mobile
+13017158592,,89875556681# US (Washington DC)
+19292056099,,89875556681# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 898 7555 6681
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kxoTYGQn3
See more details
<https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=NDdjYXZiMWFucmthNHBxZmJqdDczbzdpMW1fMjAyMzAzMjNUMjAwMDAwWiBzYjljbm1ha25xcHNpZnM3dHRuOWtzb2J1MEBn&ctz=America/New_York>

Cheers,

Steve Young
EPA (retired) and ESIP AQ Cluster Co-chair
703.966.2966

#  #  #

Session Title

Workshop: How Can Large Language Models and Chat Tools Help Communities
Find, Access, Understand, and Act Upon Air Quality Information?

Session Description

The ESIP Air Quality Cluster is prototyping a Community Air Quality Toolkit
to help communities jumpstart efforts to address their air quality
concerns. The Cluster has identified available information resources,
questions community members ask, and micro-use-cases. With current
excitement about Large Language Models and chatbot tools, we see potential
to apply these capabilities to the AQ domain.

This session will be a workshop format, with small groups trying out
example community questions and AI resources. We aim to identify what
works, what doesn’t work, issues, and opportunities for further progress.
Groups will report out on their experiences and we will synthesize a short
report with conclusions and highlights of areas that need further work.

We hypothesize that the new AI capabilities can play an important role in
opening doors to open AQ science that may be difficult otherwise for
communities to find, access, and use.

Session Purpose

ESIP has supported the work of the AQ Cluster for years. We believe there
are compelling new opportunities to demonstrate how the emerging AI
technologies can help communities. This workshop can help accelerate
informed adoption that leads to better public health.

Outcomes/Goals

We aim to tap into the collective brainpower of participants to try out a
set of tools and document our findings. We will report out on what we
discovered in the interactive groups and make recommendations for further
work to capitalize on the emerging capabilities while avoiding pitfalls. We
expect participants to gain new insights into using LLM/Chatbots in an
important environmental science domain.