[Esip-citationguidelines] Esip-citationguidelines Digest, Vol 24, Issue 3

Lesley Wyborn lesley.wyborn at anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 22 16:47:35 EST 2020

Hi Rob

Yes – it is so complex.

I am doing some work on MT data in Australia, and what I think we are going to move towards is a DOI for each individual station in an MT survey/network, but that is a very confronting suggestion to some geophysicists so it is softly, softly at the moment. The idea is that when the stations are aggregated into a dataset, this also gets a DOI.

The UNAVCO people presented this work on DOIs in either the 2018 or 2019 AGU and I tried to get them to publish something on their composite and aggregate DOIs, but I can’t see that they have done this yet (it’s like trying to get IRIS to publish a referenceable paper on their ‘Dirt-to-Desktop concept – hint, hint).

This way with something like CRediT we can finally start to acknowledge the people that go out in the field and dig the holes and actually collect the data, and more importantly, recognise those who funded the data collection initiative.  Once you go into the more highly evolved data products, these people are rarely if ever citable in a machine-readable way (if you are lucky it is in free text in the acknowledgements).

Critical to this is Data Versioning and the NASA processing levels – have you see the outputs of the RDA Data Versioning Working Group? This WG produced a white paper<https://rd-alliance.org/group/data-versioning-wg/outcomes/principles-and-best-practices-data-versioning-all-data-sets-big> based on 39 use cases<https://rd-alliance.org/group/data-versioning-wg/outcomes/compilation-data-versioning-use-cases-rda-data-versioning-working>.

It would be great to know if anyone else is working on this apart from UNAVCO and Oceans Network Canada.

Take care

Lesley