[Esip-citationguidelines] Data Citation Homework :)

Langseth, Madison L mlangseth at usgs.gov
Thu Jun 10 17:23:03 EDT 2021

Thanks for a great meeting, today! Our notes are available here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18ooEixbchKp-qgAG7qtnebKrWDYsutt4d2eX3HsaWls/edit#>. We did decide that we have a little bit of homework to do before our next meeting on July 8. Based on your experience with data, please let us know which Credit Role Ontology roles you think should contribute to a dataset's author list:

  1.  Go to the Credit_Role_Ontology_Data<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VEYPLgTsCR_zbMUbThonBrqaYqBiMT4e525NzFi7ql8/edit#gid=1552417864> tab in our Objects and Concerns Spreadsheet.
  2.  Grab a column and change "Participant #" to your name
  3.  For each role, choose "Yes" or "No" to indicate whether you think that role should be considered for inclusion in the author list for a data citation.

At the next meeting, we will attempt to generate a reasonable length role list for data authorship that we can work with at the Summer Meeting. Please let me know if you have questions!

We also started brainstorming a list of different data types that we could use as use cases and potential breakout groups for vetting and weighting these roles:

  *   Remote sensing,
  *   in situ,
  *   big field campaign,
  *   historical analysis,
  *   data from physical samples,
  *   lab data,
  *   citizen science data

If there are any major data types that you think we should also include, please feel free to chime in.

Best,

Madison Langseth (she/hers)

U.S. Geological Survey
Science Analytics & Synthesis (SAS)