[ESIP-ResearchArtifactCitation] ESIP Research Artifact Citation Cluster Update

Daniel Katz d.katz at ieee.org
Fri Nov 4 08:36:39 EDT 2022

I agree with Leslie's question 1, which was my first question as well.

If the answer is yes, I'll watch the cluster and see what I can use from it in other areas where I am focusing, such as software and machine learning models.
If no, then I'll be happy to be more involved.

Dan

> On Nov 4, 2022, at 4:32 AM, Lesley Wyborn via Esip-citationguidelines <esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
> HI Madison
>
> I am happy to continue.
>
> Can you clarify two things for me:
> Are you now restricting the new group to be just for data, not research artefacts as we were previously considering (samples, software, etc)
> Is this group in its new incarnation actually proposing to do something for the ESIP winter meeting?
>
> Take care
>
> Lesley
>
> From: Esip-citationguidelines <esip-citationguidelines-bounces at lists.esipfed.org <mailto:esip-citationguidelines-bounces at lists.esipfed.org>> on behalf of Langseth, Madison L via Esip-citationguidelines <esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org <mailto:esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org>>
> Date: Friday, 4 November 2022 at 9:00 am
> To: esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org <mailto:esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org> <esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org <mailto:esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org>>
> Subject: [ESIP-ResearchArtifactCitation] ESIP Research Artifact Citation Cluster Update
>
> Hi Fellow Cluster Members,
>
> During our cluster meeting last month, cluster members determined that it might be time for the Research Artifact Citation Cluster to take a break. There are still challenges in the area of credit for research artifacts, but we were not able to come up with a clear direction to move the group. Following that discussion, I attended a Science Gateways Community Institute training that was hosted by ESIP to help cluster leads to develop value propositions and goals for their cluster. As I brainstormed with other cluster leads, I had an idea of a goal/direction that we could potentially head, if others are interested:
>
> Goal: Increase earth science researcher awareness of credit considerations for data
>
> Activity: Create bite-sized pieces of information (think infographics) that cluster members, data managers, librarians, repository managers, etc., could use to engage early career researchers in conversations about credit for data.
>
> If this sounds like something that you would be interested in pursuing with me, please let me know by responding to this email!
>
> If there is enough interest, I would like to meet again in February 2023 to discuss the idea in more detail and formulate a plan. This break will give us some time to focus on activities at the AGU Fall Meeting and ESIP Winter Meeting and come back reinvigorated in the new year. I will try to put together a Doodle poll for anyone who responds to find a common meeting time that will work for the most participants.
>
> In the meantime, let's continue using the listserv to share resources and questions related to citation and credit!
>
> Best,

> [...]
Daniel S. Katz
Chief Scientist, NCSA
Research Associate Professor, CS