[ESIP-ResearchArtifactCitation] Organizing meeting 7/13

Diana diana.ma at hippocampusanalytics.com
Wed Jul 5 20:49:42 EDT 2023

Good evening, ESIP Research Artifact Citation Cluster,

Next Thursday (7/13), we will be holding an organizing meeting for the session on Persistent IDs that we (Mark Parsons, Matt Mayernik and I) are hosting at this summer's ESIP meeting. I have included the abstract is below. Please come and help us make the most out of our 90 minute session!

Persistent identifiers (PIDs) are a central component of open science goals, as they provide a mechanism to name, distribute, link to, and track data sets, people, institutions, specimens, and other research objects over time. The ecosystem of PIDs has expanded significantly in the last 10 years with centralized authorities assuming responsibility for different object types. Groups such as the ARK Alliance and Preston are also exploring fully distributed identifier resolution models. This session will explore a few use cases of PIDs used by Earth scientists, and evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. In particular, we are interested in the motivators and purposes for which PIDs are being used. The goal is to begin community discussion about how to identify the appropriate PID system for the desired use case.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81184515398?pwd=NXF0Ylg2SnBZNHp0SWhyYzFvanlQUT09