[Esip-dds] An example for mapping a document to the data life cycle model

Anne Wilson anne.wilson at lasp.colorado.edu
Wed Feb 27 11:39:09 EST 2013

HI Ruth,

Thanks for checking this out.  I share your concerns.  And, I do think
we need to review some more documents and evolve something accordingly.
  It's just a starting point.

I suspect the documents are going to be all over the place in terms of
content, so converging on some sort of summary form may take some time.
  I agree that in the end we need to able to identify gaps, so we must
keep that in mind.

Some gaps can be inferred from the doc, e.g.,

doc says: "(C) Report provides guidelines for assessing donation and
reception priorities for donors and recipients of geoscience data and
collections"

Inferred gap: "the community needs a process for managing donations of
geoscience data and collections"

More broadly, "the community lacks resources and organization needed to
curate, manage and preserve physical data."

Are these good examples of what we're looking for?  These are not
necessarily issues needing research, though they need other kinds of
attention.  The report itself does recommend paths forward, though for
their relatively narrow scope.  Are we trying to draw broader
conclusions about paths forward? ... Now I'm getting lost in the weeds -
what exactly are we looking for???

Another question is whether the framework can handle non earth science
reviews, though it seems pretty domain agnostic to me.  We should try
that early in the process.

So, tomorrow let's talk again about what we're looking for in the
literature review, whether this framework is worth pursuing, how to move
forward, etc.

I'll make an agenda for our telecon tomorrow and post it on the wiki.

Anne