[Esip-preserve] A Minor Note on Nomenclature

alicebarkstrom at frontier.com alicebarkstrom at frontier.com
Tue Sep 21 15:27:52 EDT 2010

I'll suggest you put this material together as a draft
paper and aim to have a final versions for
submission about a week after the January
ESIP meeting.

I'm currently working on a paper to deal with
how to identify whether two data collections
contain the same data, using Annex E of the
OAIS RM as a starting point.  There are at least
three complications:
1.  Numeric data (as well as other kinds) have
a variety of different internal representations
[a particulalry unpleasant example is a "date and
time stamp", although one could also make a case
for unpleasantness champ as being character strings,
including whether upper case is different from lower
case when dealing with scientific content, e.g. is
CO2 different than Carbon Dioxide or CARBON DIOXIDE]
2.  Numeric data can be stored in different orders
(e.g. FORTRAN array order vs C array order) - as well
as grouped in different aggregations (MOD02 holding
of lat-long values, while the radiometric data are
scattered in several products)
3.  Tacit data that influence the order of arrays, but
aren't written down.

We've also got some pleasantries related to data collections
that are "in production".  The NOAA GHCN data, for example,
are apparently having new data appended to the files on a
routine basis, perhaps as frequently as once a month or so.
Likewise, we need to decide if character strings that are
apparently erroneous in an archived form should be incorporated
in whether a copy with the errors corrected is "identical"
with the original when we're dealing with scientific identity.
We may also have to decide whether one should only refer to the
whole MODIS "data set" or whether the "snow and ice product" is
actually a "data set".

More after I get a new router at home.

Bruce B.