[Esip-preserve] Stewardship Best Practices

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 6 14:43:05 EDT 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Curt Tilmes wrote:

> On 10/06/10 09:01, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) wrote:
>> You mean the source code here, right?
>>
>> While I applaud the intent, [...]
>
> These are just recommendations, right?  Things it would be really nice
> if people did.
>
> This isn't about what people have done in the past, or what they do
> now, but what we would like them to do in the future.
>
> Pointing out that it is hard, (or impossible in some cases) doesn't
> really change the fact that it would be nice if they did it.
>
> We can break down people into three sets, the ones (like the ORNL DAAC
> model case) that already distribute source and would do so regardless
> of the recommendation, the ones (like Bruce/Chris' cases where it is
> hard or impossible) who won't distribute source regardless of whether
> or not we recommend it, and a third set I am postulating that might
> see it as a recommendation and decide to do it vs. not do it.

> We have a choice, we can either include it as a recommendation or not.

I am actually in favor of the recommendation.  We would *like* to be able to distribute source code without fear of legal repercussions.  (It's not a matter of choice.)

> Regardless of whether or not we include the recommendation, the first
> two sets of people are unaffected.  If we don't include the

Actually, I don't quite agree with this, there is a potential effect on the second set: the recommendation could be used to help the push for changes to release policies or procedures.

> recommendation, that third set might not distribute source, whereas if
> we do recommend it they might, so why not recommend it?
>
> Including it could also help change minds and practices over time, so
> that future standards, certifications, or requirements could reference
> this (I'm dreaming, right?) and over time more and more groups choose
> to do the right thing..
>
> Curt

Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185