[Esip-preserve] An Ancient Archeological Find in my Basement

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 15:27:45 EST 2010

I was looking for some project documentation from projects I've worked on
and happened to find a typerwritten document that I wrote back at the
beginning of EOSDIS - say about 1990 or so.  I scanned in that document
and converted the formatting to LaTeX -- meaning that the PDF is a bit
better formatted than the original was.

You might call what's in the document a "data management plan"
for EOS investigators.  In rereading it to get it into LaTeX, it's clear
to me that the document shows its age.  On the other hand, I haven't
seen any of the data management plan samples on the Web that
mention calibration and validation, as well as some of the other kinds
of information we need to document to keep the data understandable
- at least for people who are trying to conduct Earth science research.

I think these topics need to appear someplace in Curt's discussion of
"Context" when we get to the ESIP meeting.  Also, I think it might be
useful to have a document that we could obtain or that was distributed
by next Wednesday or so (trying to pick that up when we're travelling
is a real hassle).  The issues we're grappling with are so complex that
sound bite Power Point presentations are not really robust enough
or capable of conveying some of the subtlties we're dealing with.