[Esip-preserve] Monthly Telecon: Wednesday March 9

Raskin, Rob (388M) robert.g.raskin at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 9 16:15:07 EST 2011

As a follow-up to our telecon discussion of "upgrading" from a Preservation/Stewardship Cluster to a Committee, here are descriptions of the other Standing Committees, as taken from the Federation Bylaws:

The ESIP Federation shall include a Standing Committee on Earth Science Products and Services. Its roles are:
a. To encourage the development, use and improvement of best science practices to ensure the quality, usability, and breadth of data and resultant information, products, and services;
b. To provide a Federation-wide forum for defining, developing and evaluating requirements for Federation Earth science products; and
c. To provide a Federation-wide forum for defining, developing and evaluating requirements for product services and user services.

The ESIP Federation shall include a Standing Committee for Information Technology and Interoperability. Its roles are to:
a. To provide a forum and resource for interoperability and new technology transfer, development, and infusion that will improve Earth science data, information, and knowledge;
b. To encourage the use of best information technology practices to ensure the quality, usability, and breadth of Earth science data, information, knowledge, products and services; and
c. To ensure that data, information and services can be readily discovered, exchanged and integrated through the use of interoperability standards and protocols.

The ESIP Federation shall include a Standing Committee for Education. Its purpose is to make accessible to educators and learners at all levels in both formal and informal educational contexts the Earth science data, information, tools, and curricula available within the ESIP Federation. Its roles are:
a. To promote and facilitate the development and dissemination of Earth science educational products, information, and tools to a broad user community using the wealth of Earth science data and expertise available in the ESIP Federation.
b. To promote and facilitate the collaboration of multiple ESIP’s to develop educational applications of Earth science data products, information, and tools c. To provide a central organization for ESIP Federation educational materials to
facilitate and standardize dissemination/distribution d. To develop collaborative relationships with other organizations involved in
educational activities

Committees tend to have broader scopes than Clusters - that might be a reason to consider a Committee with an expanded scope that include related "data science" issues (quality, provenance, etc.) even if they are currently covered by other Clusters.

-Rob

Rob Raskin
Group Supervisor, Science Data Engineering and Archiving
Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Pasadena, CA 91109
(818) 354-4228