[Esip-preserve] Identifiers

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:38:31 EST 2012

As another curmudgeonly note, I think it would be useful to
provide some use cases about the motivation of "linked data
creators".  To be a bit more specific, what is the difference
between a "cut and paste scrapbook" of images and text
from other Web sources and an actual Earth science data
use?

That isn't to say a "scrapbook" doesn't have it's uses.
A student report that cut images and supporting text from
Web pages might resemble a "scrapbook", yet still be useful
at getting a high grade for the student.

On the other hand, one would expect a normal scientific
investigation to have to be concerned about the uncertainty
in the data products.  According to the
www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/gum.html (Guide to
the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement), uncertainty
statements require a mathematical model of the measurement
process.  So - when we deal with "linked data products" for
Earth sciences, are we requiring the data producer to create
and document the math model and provide evidence that it
is a reasonable statement of the level of confidence in the
measurements recorded in the data product?

There are lots of variants and levels of fulfillment to the GUM
standard (yes, it's ISO).  What role does the expectation that
"linked data" will deal with scientific investigations play in the
kinds of products this approach encourages?

Bruce b.