[Esip-preserve] DataCite to require "landing pages"

Greg Janée gjanee at eri.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 1 12:16:29 EST 2012

On Feb 29, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Mark A. Parsons wrote:
> Landing pages should ultimately be both human and machine readable.

I've always thought this would be the best of both worlds, as both
humans and programmatic clients can then get representations of
resources that they can do something with.  But we seem to be hampered
by the lack of an agreed-upon technical approach.  Is this something
that ESIP might like to look at?  Two approaches that have been
suggested:

1. Content negotiation.  Clients use HTTP's Accept header mechanism to
request a specific representation of a resource: RDF, OAI-ORE, etc.
DataCite has put together an alpha version of this concept at http://data.datacite.org/
.  I don't think there are (yet) any guidelines as to what resource
types return what information in what ways.

2. Identifier "inflections".  This is an idea proposed by John Kunze
at CDL.  A client can request a specific representation by adding a
syntactic cue to the identifier.  For example, it's already part of
the ARK specification that appending a question mark (?) to an
identifier returns metadata; perhaps appending a slash (/) requests a
"landing page" or other human-oriented experience as opposed the
resource directly.

-Greg