[Esip-sample-curation] Complex Citations Hackathon for Samples

Joan Damerow JoanDamerow at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 24 13:58:00 EDT 2024

Hi all,

The ESIP Physical Samples Curation Cluster is organizing a Hackathon with
the RDA Complex Citations Working group to develop complex citations
examples for physical samples that will take place *Monday April 29 1-3 pm
PT, 4-6 pm ET*.  The goals of this hackathon are to work through example
complex citations use cases for physical samples to…

   - Define metadata needed to track provenance and propagate credit for
   physical samples appropriately
   - Determine if a similar, existing structure could work across our use
   cases (e.g. existing reliquary examples, DataCite Collections)
   - Identify next steps: needs for implementation

AGENDA

   1.

   Introductions (5 min)
   2.

   Overview of RDA Complex Citations Working Group and Existing Examples
   (15 min)
   3.

   Physical Sample Tracking and Citation Use Cases (10 min)
   1.

      Publish and Cite Large numbers of Samples
      2.

      Credit for those involved in Physical Sample Collection and Curation
      3.

      Track Use of Sample Data Generated from Laboratories
      4.

      Connect Interdisciplinary Sample (Meta)data and Other Research Outputs
      4.

   Hackathon: Create Example "Reliquary" for one of the Use Cases (45 min)

Break (5 min)

   5.

   Share Prototype Examples (30 min)
   6.

   Closing - Next Steps (10 min)

We will prepare some starter examples to work through, or even better - you
can bring your own examples where you would like to cite numerous samples,
subsamples, etc. in a single container citation.

Please email me (JoanDamerow at lbl.gov) if you have any questions, and/or
would like to attend and I will add you to the calendar invite.

Best Regards,
Joan

--
Joan E. Damerow