[Esip-semanticharmonization] [ACTION] Pick a name for ongoing 'ontology group' initiative

Ruth Duerr ruth.duerr3 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:21:36 EDT 2020

Other than the issues I raised during the call today, another issue I see is that if you use the phrase "Earth and Space Systems" (or Science for that matter), people will think about the Earth and Space Science Informatics section of AGU and assume that there is some association (Ontologies are part of informatics in my opinion).
That argues for something other than that phrase if we are to keep this under the ESIP umbrellas.

However, I agree with Robert, we need to scope this thing first - then a name will make sense.  I also think, based on how long it is taking to harmonize just the cryospheric portions of SWEET and ENVO, we really should not bite off too much.

I tend to want to stop at planetary systems, just because we know that glaciologists, geologists, etc. apply Earth-based knowledge to understand planets, etc.  So it makes sense to try to align semantic developments early.  I really don’t think that is the case for stars, galaxies and the universe - the natural connection there is to physics and often pretty exotic physics at that!

My two cents for the moment.

Ruth