[Esip-semanticharmonization] recording link from (10/21/20) ESIP Semantic Harmonization 1 hour group meeting

Gary Berg-Cross gbergcross at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:16:31 EDT 2020

Here is the link to the recording of today's  1 hour Semantic Harmonization
session.
https://transcripts.gotomeeting.com/#/s/08e489c424ef96daaf5da0ad21ab73d26c9a57dce9e3e9eede39d9c27b825d07

We spent most of the time planning for the Winter ESIP submission, which we
dragooned Ksi into drafting and what to follow up with.
Here are the notes we took as a group for the session:

   -

   ESIP Winter Meeting sessions (prop DUE NOV 5)  -what Semantic
   Harmonization means, what we have done and how to do it with a range of
   semantic resources -
   -

      includes inviting others to our session to try to get a common
      conversation and this type of effort started up in their cluster
and/or as
      a next round of our work.
      -

      Form describing how to propose a ESIP session:
      -

         https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TXVHqig7AgfGSblTR-6Qxprc-6ctbAUU4VvYpoJVszM/edit
         -

         Kai to take lead, Mark (others?) assist
         -

      Propose TUTORIAL?  (next-step activity a month afterwards?--
      agreement)
      -

   How/whether to achieve outreach/connection with other ESIP thematic-data
   clusters: Biology, Ag & Climate, Marine, Soil (approved but pending-- few
   weeks to resolve); also the Discovery cluster (KG, profiles)
   -

      Recording of the talk Ag & Climate hosted yesterday:
      https://youtu.be/IaF9E5bWB9o
      -

      Soil ontology WG  https://ufl.zoom.us/j/94053340231?pwd=RHg3ajZwSE1
      -

      Or perhaps focus on CF per Brandon’s suggestion.
      -

   Ruth moving to data harmonization task at NASA until early next year,
   working with Peter Fox and Mark Parsons-- will involve semantics
   -

   Papers need to move forward
   -

   Ongoing efforts:
   -

      SWEET as “junction for terms”
      -

      Cryosphere terms in EnvO
      -

      SWEET/Envo Harmonization
      -

   How bridge CF, GCMD, DarwinCore etc (i.e. well-established
   “metadata-ish” vocabs) to be more interoperable and semantic
   -

      Possibly Peckham’s SVO as CF surrogate(?)--
      http://www.geoscienceontology.org/index.html
      -

      TDWG/DwC: Ramona Walls had started work, but needs greater focus;
      also Anne Thessen as contact (Stan Blum has started attending some of our
      meetings)

Need “guidelines” for creating a good vocabulary (ontology)-- somewhat like
attached paper but more specifically about creating OWL/RDF and what
annotation properties, axioms, etc. to use   (EnvO as exemplar)

Gary Berg-Cross Ph.D.
Independent Consultant
Potomac, MD
240-426-0770