[Esip-semanticharmonization] Late Reminder to join today's (11/18/20) ESIP Semantic Harmonization 2 hour group meeting

Gary Berg-Cross gbergcross at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:39:10 EST 2020

Work priorities for the session are again up to the group, although we made
significant progress on the Cryo Speadsheet and have an understanding on
how to use the   ROBOT Tool for Automating Ontology Workflows
<https://bmcbioinformatics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12859-019-3002-3>
Our template is at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xt3BHNz-pP2ggJq_asPPcuKuGEAKtbT3MU2wFLTnCmQ/edit#gid=0

 You can join our 2 hour semantic harmonization meeting from your computer,
tablet or smartphone.using the link provided below.
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xt3BHNz-pP2ggJq_asPPcuKuGEAKtbT3MU2wFLTnCmQ/edit#gid=0>

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/800617765

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (408) 650-3123 <+14086503123,,800617765#>

Access Code: 800-617-765

New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting
starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/800617765
Gary Berg-Cross Ph.D.
Consultant
Potomac, MD
240-426-0770
"Peter Turchin, who teaches at the University of Connecticut, follows
Tainter in positing a single, transhistorical mechanism leading to
collapse, though he is far more willing than Tainter to voice specific —
and occasionally alarmist — predictions. In Turchin’s case the key is the
loss of “social resilience,” a society’s ability to cooperate and act
collectively for common goals. By that measure, Turchin judges that the
United States was collapsing well before Covid-19 hit. For the last 40
years, he argues, the population has been growing poorer and more unhealthy
as elites accumulate more and more wealth and institutional legitimacy
founders. “The United States is basically eating itself from the inside
out,” he says.

Inequality and “popular immiseration” have left the country extremely
vulnerable to external shocks like the pandemic, and to internal triggers
like the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor. He does not hesitate
to predict that we can expect to experience far more of the kind of unrest
we’ve seen this summer, “not just this year but in the years ahead, because
the underlying conditions are only getting worse.”