[Esip-semanticharmonization] SKOS problem, Re: Reminder to join Wednesday's (2/16/2022 2-3 Eastern US, 6-7 UTC) ESIP Semantic Harmonization

Nancy Wiegand wiegand at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 16 17:15:48 EST 2022

I might have the wrong direction regarding SKOS. At least it says (in
https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/#secrel):

*"Note on |skos:broader| direction:* for historic reasons, the name of
the |skos:broader| property (the word "broader") does not provide an
explicit indication of its direction. The word "broader" should read
here as "has broader concept"; the subject of a |skos:broader| statement
is the more specific concept involved in the assertion and its object is
the more generic one."

and:

ex:mammals rdf:type skos:Concept;
   skos:prefLabel "mammals"@en;
   skos:broader ex:animals.

So, top to bottom, apparently the above would read as mammals 'has broader concept animals'. So, if our
  spreadsheet is read left to right, and if we consider left is top and right is bottom, then it would be:
mammals  animals  broader
This would read as 'mammals has broader concept animals'. But, I don't know. Since it's our own spreadsheet,
maybe we could do it either way, although top=left and bottom=right probably is more similar.

Anyone know for sure?

Nancy