[Esip-semanticharmonization] Are people prepared for an ESIP Semantic Harmonization Cluster 2 hour group meeting in April

Gary Berg-Cross gbergcross at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:27:42 EDT 2024

The next Semantic Harmonization meeting is  scheduled for April 17 @ 4:00
PM - 6:00 PM EDT to again overlap with the SWEET meeting.
A Question is whether we will have the right people to be able to discuss
CMECS and harmonization with both SWEET and ENVO.
To have a productive meeting we would need a course set of vocabulary
items (Like
Beach or sand  or habitat/Aquatic Setting areas like Estuarine System ) from
CMECS  along with definitions and some idea about how they could align with
SWEETand ENVO.
Having Kate and Pier available would be instrumental to a productive
session.
So we should know if they are available before using this session for CMECS
harmonization...and if they have a start on a core vocabulary.

Below is a small example illustrating Beach as an concept in ENVO and CMECS.

surface landform
<https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_01001884>
in  Envo

   -

   + beach
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00000091>
   landform consisting of loose rock particles such as sand, gravel, shingle,
   pebbles, cobble, or even shell fragments along the shoreline of a body of
   water.
   -

   surface landform
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_01001884>

   -

   part of
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/BFO_0000050>
    some shore
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00000304>
   -

   composed primarily of
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/RO_0002473>
some
   (sediment
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00002007>
and
   (composed primarily of
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/RO_0002473>
some
   (pebble
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00002139>
    or cobble
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00002140>
    or sand
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_01000017>
    or gravel
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_01000018>
    or shell
   <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/UBERON_0006612>
   )))

   -

   -

      - sea beach
      <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00000092>
      -

      + raised beach
      <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00000415>
      -

      - shingle beach
      <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00000545>
      -

      - sandy beach
      <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00002199>
      -

      - lacustrine beach
      <https://ontobee.org/ontology/ENVO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_00000093>
      beach which is part of a lake shore.

CMECS

Beach (Levels 1 & 2) – A gently sloping zone formed by unconsolidated
material at the shoreline, typically with a concave profile. This zone
extends landward from the low-water line to either (a) the place where
there is a definite change in material or physiographic form (such as a
cliff) or (b) the line of permanent vegetation. Only those portions of the
beach within the splash zone would be within the CMECS system; areas of the
beach further inland are terrestrial systems.

Sub-types - Barrier Beach, Mainland Beach, Pocket Beach, Tide-Modified Beach
, Tide-Dominated Beach and Wave-Dominated Beach

Gary Berg-Cross
Potomac, MD
240-426-0770