[esip-semanticweb] ESIP namespace definitions

John Graybeal graybeal at marinemetadata.org
Tue Oct 27 18:09:55 EDT 2009

I am not entirely following this.  It seems to me it is possible to
create a mapping which supports universality, and even though some
people may use a different approach (e.g., the '#' signs in RDF), that
approach can be avoided when creating URIs.

For example, in the MMI RDF URIs [1], the base path could be
considered to end in 'topicName'.  To create a URI for a particular
term, one adds a slash and the qualified term name, like 'termOne'.

So this seems to support a 1-to-1 mapping between the two, using those
conventions.  So for a community of use, which has specified the
purposes to which they want to put these concepts, dual universality
seems to be supported.

Can you explain why that is not sufficient, and why universality in
one precludes universality in the other?

John

--------------
I have my new work email address: jgraybeal at ucsd.edu

John Graybeal   <mailto:jgraybeal at ucsd.edu>