[esip-semanticweb] ok, let's start with GCIS identifiers

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Tue Mar 27 18:11:41 EDT 2012

Consensus was that we would like to shoot for URIs with RDF content.  No objections to going with GCIS naming, so...let's go with it.

I would suggest that we start off with minimal properties, but one (or more) property we should have is a pointer to somewhere where more information can be gotten.   For this, I suggest gcmdDif, doi and datasetUrl (for dataset landing pages).

Eventually, content negotiation to fetch in RDF/XML vs. HTML would be nice.

Next question is whether service access points (WMS, WCS, OPeNDAP, THREDDS) should also be a property within the GCIS-hosted content. What do you think?

If you think no, we can always host the access point triples somewhere else.  We need it to try inferring which tools work with a given dataset.

As for the identifier naming scheme, my suggestion is to allow for three:
http://globalchange.gov/dataset/gcmd/<dif_entry_id>
http://globalchange.gov/dataset/doi/<doi>
http://globalchange.gov/dataset/uuid/<uuid>

The dif_entry_id can account for nearly all NASA datasets, and a lot more besides.  The doi can account for DOE and possibly others, and the uuid can be minted by anyone that does not fall into those categories.
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185