[esip-semanticweb] [Esip-earthcollaboratory] ontological concepts for science

Jeff McWhirter jeff.mcwhirter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 14:25:57 EDT 2013

Thanks for all of the responses. My responses below.

If anyone is interested here are a couple of RAMADDA sites that show some
of these constructs:
Here is an example repository I am putting together highlighting some of
the data management capabilities in RAMADDA:
http://community.ramadda.org/repository/repos/data
Type specific search:
http://community.ramadda.org/repository/repos/data/search/type

Here is the Antarctica program at Unavco's TLS (LiDAR) archive:
http://tls.unavco.org/repository/alias/antarctica

This has projects, sites, site visits, etc.

Chris Lynnes wrote:

This looks somewhat similar to the BCO-DMO ontology that the RPI+WHOI folks
> have been working on.  Maybe that ontology should be mined (or reused
> wholesale?) for more constructs.

It looks like this ontology fits very well with what I am developing. I
think Campaign and Deployment are synonym-ish. I like that they have People
and Instrument. Maybe their Affiliation could be generalized to be
Organization.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Hua, Hook (398C) <hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov>wrote:

> The PROV-ES working group is currently working on some of these concepts
> and their relationships in the context of provenance. This spreadsheet [1]
> has a list of concepts that were created based on a set of Earth science
> use cases and from extending the W3C PROV starting point ontology terms [2]
> and extended ontology terms [3]. Many of the concepts were extracted from
> the PCCS [4]. From the initial concepts, we started creating a taxonomy [4]
> and are just beginning to generate the relationships in a COE concept map
> to form an initial content model. We also plan to provide an encoding
> scheme (RDF possibly?) for the content model later on.

This might be too general. I'm not trying to create a full blown ontology -
just identify some science process specific constructs.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Ramapriyan, Hampapuram K. (GSFC-4230) <
hampapuram.k.ramapriyan at nasa.gov> wrote:

> Jeff,
>

> We have a long list of "concepts" that are part of a matrix being
> developed by NASA ESDSWG's PROV-ES WG. That might be another source of
> terms to consider. Also, how about SWEET ontology that Rob Raskin developed?

I think the SWEET ontology is too detailed and broad for what I am looking
for.

-Jeff