[esip-semanticweb] First phase of ESIP Community Ontology Repository work is done

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 10 02:46:48 EDT 2015

ESIP Semantic Web team,

As you all are probably aware, a proposal was approved by the ESIP Federation to deploy an instance of MMI's Ontology Registry and Repository (ORR) to the ESIP testbed.  This Community Ontology Repository effort intends to give the ESIP semantic community, and ESIP's regular members, a chance to play with and evaluate another style of semantic repository, and perhaps one day compare and contrast it with the existing ESIP Semantic Repository.

I have finished the first phase of the proposal, which is mostly to organize the documentation and up-front technical issues. You can learn about the proposal, its origins, and the plans for completing it at the ESIP Community Ontology Repository wiki. (The Management Process page has individual links to each phase of the work.)

I am sending this information to the Semantic Web cluster for several reasons:
* To let you know the status of this work, and the already-available resources;
* To encourage you to take a look at the pages and the planned work;
* To give you the chance to engage in the work, as interests you: for example by commenting on issues, asking questions, using the repository once it is available, or even  helping improve the site and/or code; and
* it's part of the required outreach to keep you up to date. :-)

I've taken enough of your time, so let me thank you for the chance to say hi and fill you in on this community opportunity.

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
650-450-1853