[esip-semantictech] UDFR deprecation and our governance process

soren scott sorenscott at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:35:35 EDT 2016

Not sure if this affects many people here, but the UDFR (Unified Digital
Format Registry) is shutting down this Friday (Apr 15):

http://udfr.org/

PRONOM is still supported elsewhere. GDFR hasn't been accessible for at
least a year. This site should be in the Internet Archive, at least.

I thought I'd bring it more as a discussion topic from an earlier call and
the governance side - there's been discussion about transferring
maintainership for ontologies already within an ESIP ontology portal but
not (as much) about how to handle on ontology elsewhere that may be of
value to the ESIP community. Would we want to add something about ontology
adoption in these cases? Since we like to frame these things like OS repos,
what would a polite procedure be for adopting an ontology based on
community need rather than author request given that we don't have the same
kind of forking/transitive credit/etc structures for ontologies here?

Cheers,
Soren

--

Soren Scott
Research Coder
soren.scott at ronininstitute.org

just a head's up - taking a bit of a sabbatical so if i don't
get back to you right away, no worries.