[esip-semantictech] NOAA Ontologies

Pier Buttigieg pbuttigi at mpi-bremen.de
Wed Jun 20 03:51:12 EDT 2018

Hi Justin,

While not a NOAA ontology, ENVO has begun to express oceanographic
standards like CMECS (after a dialogue with their team). I'll be
processing, unpacking, adding more CMECS content through the next few
months. For example: http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/ENVO_01001329

We're also working with a small team from GOOS, UNESCO/IOC, JCOMM,
SOCIB, IEEE, AWI, and GEOMAR to get the EOVs in ENVO and linked to the
various systems the ontology encodes.

We do have some atmospheric content too. But this is less systematic.

Do let me know if there's anything in the environmental domain you'd
like us to encode (e.g. standard classifications used by NOAA) or if
NOAA would like us to help train a few of its staff to co-edit the
relevant sections of the ontology (probably faster).

Best,
Pier

PS: ENVO is strongly linked to the United Nations SDG Interface Ontology
which we develop in collaboration with UN Environment. In the SDGIO, we
are weaving the strategic and societal goals of various organisations
(e.g. the CGIAR and AWI) into the SDG framework. It may be interesting
to get NOAA on the map.