[esip-semantictech] schema.org, roadmap, symposium matters

Adam Shepherd ashepherd at whoi.edu
Tue Oct 23 15:51:13 EDT 2018

Hi Folks, here's a first draft at an ESIP Winter session for extending
schema.org for dataset temporal coverage

Google Doc (open to edits):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1APwWfQXgV2Qa8R7PiHMcUbtj2KfJZKfHJ61QOuNd1W8/edit#

Suggestions and edits welcome!

best, Adam

-----------------------

TITLE: Extending the schema.org definition of Temporal Coverage for Datasets

SESSION TYPE: Working Session

Describing datasets on the web with schema.org markup has has proven to
be a beneficial experience for discovery of data being initiated through
a major search engine.  While schema.org vocabulary describes most
aspects of a dataset fairly well, it does not cover all use cases found
in the geosciences.  However, schema.org was designed to serve as a core
vocabulary which communities of practice could extend through some
well-defined pathways.
  As a result, there is an opportunity for publishers of data on the web
to develop extensions in areas of importance.  One area that could
benefit the community is a dataset’s temporal coverage.

In this session, we propose to:

  * Look at the current schema.org Dataset definition for temporal coverage
  * Brainstorm about use cases not covered by schema.org
  * Brainstorm about how OWL Time Ontology, SWEET Ontology & other
    existing ontologies can help inform an extension
  * Draft a schema.org extension, hosted in ESIP’s Github.