[Esip-agclimate] [EXTERNAL] Farming Within Limits: essay & AGU talk - perhaps of interest?

Teng, William L. (GSFC-610.2)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] william.l.teng at nasa.gov
Mon Dec 2 17:49:03 EST 2019

Thanks, Bar! I'll try to attend your AGU presentation. The SSF webinar a few weeks ago, "Farming Methods That Thrive in a Decarbonized World," very much relates to this topic.

Bill

________________________________
From: Esip-agclimate <esip-agclimate-bounces at lists.esipfed.org> on behalf of Lindsay Barbieri via Esip-agclimate <esip-agclimate at lists.esipfed.org>
Sent: Monday, December 2, 2019 5:23 PM
To: esip-agclimate at lists.esipfed.org <esip-agclimate at lists.esipfed.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Esip-agclimate] Farming Within Limits: essay & AGU talk - perhaps of interest?

Hello Agriculture & Climate Cluster,

I recently published an essay, Farming Within Limits<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__interactions.acm.org_archive_view_september-2Doctober-2D2019_farming-2Dwithin-2Dlimits&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=img-rO8ZBhblrx41WBkIFetQkzEsdhT-s4UDDrJe0Xk&m=zkKc9ld3XBXTn_AHQ5KP38B9T_znvIVlMx7U1EH2QxY&s=G03wG7s6a9CuZt_wZjXxNvAT6XO58PCqXLqpRS8H1lU&e=> in the computing magazine Interactions - and I hope you might find it interesting. I'll also be presenting work<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__agu.confex.com_agu_fm19_meetingapp.cgi_Paper_624805&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=img-rO8ZBhblrx41WBkIFetQkzEsdhT-s4UDDrJe0Xk&m=zkKc9ld3XBXTn_AHQ5KP38B9T_znvIVlMx7U1EH2QxY&s=vo7QhV8u5Iyv4U4JGGVsfisH11TTCbo13bZIOqU_7QQ&e=> on this topic on Thursday (8:15am) at AGU, so if you are intrigued and happen to be attending AGU - I'd love to talk with you then, or perhaps at a future ESIP!

If you can't access the article, let me know and I'd be happy to send you a pdf (I've submitted a pre-print for open access, but it hasn't been approved yet).

all the best,
Bar

Abstract: Global agricultural production is alarmingly unsustainable. Manipulating living beings, their genetics, and entire ecosystems to produce food has always been a technological feat. Advancements in farming technology have made it possible to surpass critical thresholds of planetary sustainability, and technological change in agriculture generates tension between those who benefit and those who bear the costs. Agriculture produces more than enough to feed the world’s human population, but the global economy allocates food inequitably among people and redirects food to industrial feedlots, biofuel refineries, and the waste stream. Technical solutions alone cannot fix the underlying socioeconomic systems that produce unjust and unsustainable food systems. Here we offer a starting point to guide the assessment of agricultural technology for both sustainability and justice, starting with their relationship to the logic of growth and domination that got us here. How can technology serve system change? And how can farming transform the unjust systems it literally feeds?

--
Lindsay Barbieri
PhD Candidate, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources