[Esip-agclimate] Demo of updated concept map repository on Tuesday 2020-04-28 | 1500 hrs EDT

Brian Wee bwee at massiveconnections.com
Thu Apr 23 09:09:15 EDT 2020

Hi,

This morning, I posted the announcement below to the #general and
#ag-climate Slack channels
<https://esip-all.slack.com/archives/C011BEXS694/p1587645574000400>.  In
case you have not joined the ESIP Slack channel yet, the announcement is
replicated below.  In advance of yesterday's (Wednesday, 2020-04-22)
Collaboration Area Highlights webinar, Bill Teng and I had requested a
GotoMeeting slot next Tuesday afternoon (3pm EDT) to present an updated
version of the presentation previously given at the ag and climate ESIP
monthly call on April 7
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xCLTjuk84Yf5uBtwGXXII58ugzXdZoDogt7SQkIL6zE/edit#bookmark=kix.86mded5pw65a>.
We announced this demo in a three-slide presentation
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1b5zHaI4F7-X7OTBI57JRhCUVKPYf9aLYIA3foOPXp9Q/edit?usp=sharing>
yesterday.  The demo session was organized in part to help manage our
(Bill, Arif, myself) numer of meetings with folks interested in finding out
more about the concept map experiment.

- Brian

*Short version:*
The ag and climate cluster will host an introductory webinar on a nascent
data-to-decisions experiment <https://tinyurl.com/cy2020-ag-climate> on
Tuesday 2020-04-28  |  1500 hrs EDT.  GotoMeeting details are listed
in the ESIP
meetings calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?eid=M2Q4aXVpcmIxbWVra2FyOGk5MzEwN2hwNzQgc2I5Y25tYWtucXBzaWZzN3R0bjlrc29idTBAZw&ctz=America/New_York>
.

*What this is about:*
In the 2020 Collaboration Area Highlights webinar
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n8n1XUoINwgS2TjdpxT0Py1c_8R38U4XwCBHOaakFPY/edit>,
the Ag and Climate Cluster <https://tinyurl.com/cy2020-ag-climate> outlined
a nascent experiment <https://tinyurl.com/cy2020-ag-climate> to capture the
knowledge of subject matter experts across science, technology, and policy
areas in the form of use-cases documented as concept maps.  The intent is
to build these use-cases on a common "backbone" of risk management
<https://cmapscloud.ihmc.us/viewer/cmap/1VNY4ZL1M-23RDTKF-1LZ> with a focus
on climate adaptation and mitigation against the impacts of extreme events.

Ultimately, we anticipate that these concept maps will be used
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1b5zHaI4F7-X7OTBI57JRhCUVKPYf9aLYIA3foOPXp9Q/edit?usp=sharing>
for communication, engagement, and (hopefully) machine-assisted
context-aware discovery of data, information, and knowledge.

If you are interested in topics like US policies relevant to large-scale
environmental change
<https://cmapscloud.ihmc.us/viewer/cmap/1VN24MGCK-DT6NTM-1L8>, modeling
tools used for characterizing the anticipated impacts of extreme weather in
light of adaptation challenges
<https://cmapscloud.ihmc.us/viewer/cmap/1VLLFMBLC-QCZQRQ-931>, or telling
the story of how a data product you developed is connected to resilience
planning
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Community_concept_mapping_activity_March_2020_through_July_2020#Starting_from_decisions_and_tracing_back_to_data_and_technology>,
the ag and climate cluster will host an introductory webinar on this
data-to-decisions experiment on Tuesday 2020-04-28  |  1500 hrs EDT
(click here
for the ESIP calendar entry
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?eid=M2Q4aXVpcmIxbWVra2FyOGk5MzEwN2hwNzQgc2I5Y25tYWtucXBzaWZzN3R0bjlrc29idTBAZw&ctz=America/New_York>,
or here for the GotoMeeting URL <https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/534768669>
).

This webinar will be based on a presentation at our ag and climate telecon
on 2020-04-07 and updated with ideas from subsequent discussions
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/2020> to (hopefully) include the
skeletal structure of an in-development risk management use-case centered
on wildfires and flooding.  This new use-case is hung off the same risk
management backbone which is also used for an existing use-case on climate
adaptation for poultry agriculture in the Chesapeake watershed
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Community_concept_mapping_activity_March_2020_through_July_2020#Real-world_agriculture_resilience_scenario_used_to_drive_the_concept_map_development>
.

(IMPORTANT QUALIFIER:  even though the use-cases are based on actual
real-world challenges, none of the use-cases are "complete" in this
experiment.)