[Esip-agclimate] Ag&Climate Do-a-Thon October 6th 3 PM ET

Teng, William L. (GSFC-610.2)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] william.l.teng at nasa.gov
Tue Oct 6 14:38:05 EDT 2020

REMINDER: Today's meeting coming up in about 22 minutes! Please join us in our second mini do-a-thon, as we semantically tag nine selected Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) targets (more info below).

Please note that, today, we will be on Zoom and NOT Gotomeeting. Please follow the detailed connection coordinates below!

Bill

________________________________
From: DAVIS, ELEANOR J <eleanord at email.sc.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 2, 2020 3:00 PM
To: esip-agclimate at lists.esipfed.org <esip-agclimate at lists.esipfed.org>
Cc: Teng, William L. (GSFC-610.2)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] <william.l.teng at nasa.gov>; Brian Wee <bwee at massiveconnections.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Ag&Climate Do-a-Thon October 6th 3 PM ET

Hello Ag&Climate List-serv!

I don’t know about you but this fall weather has me ready for a warm cup of soup and some ontology mapping for a good cause. And guess what? We have just that coming this week (BYO soup)!

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D698CC.C31AEB80]

(My imagined work location during autumn)

We have our second Ag&Climate Do-a-thon meeting on Tuesday, October 6th at 3 PM ET. Didn’t come to the first one? That’s ok. No experience necessary.

We will be working in breakout groups to map existing ontologies onto the Sustainable Development Goal Targets. Why is this helpful? Making the SDGs more machine (and human) readable with existing definitions and tracking mechanisms. The group that worked on it at the last meeting found it enjoyable and, personally, it was like taking a short work break to solve a puzzle.

Sound interesting? Check out the meeting link and agenda below.

Oct. 6 meeting is on Zoom and NOT Gotomeeting! Zoom connection coordinates follow. These details are also found on the ESIP community calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__esipfed.org_get-2Dinvolved_telecon-2Dcalendar_&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=img-rO8ZBhblrx41WBkIFetQkzEsdhT-s4UDDrJe0Xk&m=cbaHNPgf8L_FWyPcmfSuaxCLR0ELjK9QxYscReGXjRk&s=9T1l0JVrw_lzHrG0DjkY8g7yPkbqBSpChb1KPpxarbg&e=>.

To join Zoom Meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6088308272?pwd=YlZFSTZNNkZDcjYyT3dWQkJFSzdpQT09<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__us02web.zoom.us_j_6088308272-3Fpwd-3DYlZFSTZNNkZDcjYyT3dWQkJFSzdpQT09&d=DwMFAg&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=img-rO8ZBhblrx41WBkIFetQkzEsdhT-s4UDDrJe0Xk&m=4dkPr-yU_ssmT9ZIKCsqwH5ijjQpn7hTEGNLztRRJ5g&s=kkSEF3cbMThipH2pIwuL947T96UDq5A8tymXwnp_jfA&e=>

Meeting ID: 608 830 8272

Passcode: ESIPSM20

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,6088308272# US (New York)

+13017158592,,6088308272# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 608 830 8272

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kuhfZ4rYn<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__us02web.zoom.us_u_kuhfZ4rYn&d=DwMFAg&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=img-rO8ZBhblrx41WBkIFetQkzEsdhT-s4UDDrJe0Xk&m=4dkPr-yU_ssmT9ZIKCsqwH5ijjQpn7hTEGNLztRRJ5g&s=9NAYACFyNWGmZ1JWdvOGrUrlkk_0eOe-MB5ZHXM4puo&e=>

  *   [5 min] ACTION from 9/15: Agree on a consensus definition of “food security” or compile list of variants. From the 9/15 semantic annotation exercise, a list of variants may be more useful. From MIT Media Lab webinar on SDG 2 - 4 aspects of food security:
     *   Available
     *   Accessible
     *   Utilizable
     *   Stable
     *   Others?

  *   [50 min] Main item for today’s meeting is a mini do-a-thon-do-a-again, following the first mini do-a-thon on 9/15, to manually semantically annotate nine selected Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) targets with ontology concepts. You do not need to have detailed ontology knowledge to participate and learn in this activity. This activity is a precursor for a related presentation by Matthew Lange (University of California, Davis: Principal Investigator for the NSF-funded IC-FOODS project) on 10/20 (see more info below).
     *   Instructions on how to use the revised template.
     *   Breakup into groups.
     *   Debrief: there are some ontologies (e.g., OMIT: the Ontology for miRNA [micro RNA]) that are less familiar to some of us, but are nevertheless useful in inherently transdisciplinary efforts like the SDGs.  What are some of these ontologies that you’ve found that we should know about?

  *   Optional preparatory materials.  You may also want to take a look at this Google doc<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1V6WrIw4sPTFiboY6pSjofNKERHWw08gUXs5wtJzZt8s_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwMFAg&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=img-rO8ZBhblrx41WBkIFetQkzEsdhT-s4UDDrJe0Xk&m=4dkPr-yU_ssmT9ZIKCsqwH5ijjQpn7hTEGNLztRRJ5g&s=qcNn-1no84mi2einUtCJNaJFR0wg4g3-K7oGhvtqSmk&e=> that we will be using for the activity.  The structure of the tables (section 4 of the document) for semantic annotation has been updated.  The contents of those tables have been migrated from the first version of the document<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_14jYuHwnmQ9MTeG9Ud9igYd7CizPxVYKzOzQpuEIymv0_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwMFAg&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=img-rO8ZBhblrx41WBkIFetQkzEsdhT-s4UDDrJe0Xk&m=4dkPr-yU_ssmT9ZIKCsqwH5ijjQpn7hTEGNLztRRJ5g&s=O5f5BuF12tiyDdTVnkOnMRf6_Th5fniyT3Uc9mpl2O0&e=>: please verify that what you wrote was migrated successfully, because some edits have been introduced.  If you do get a chance to preview these materials, think of which targets personally interest you that you might want to work on with fellow ESIPers.