[Esip-agclimate] Ag&Climate Disasters talk by Batu Osmangolu

DAVIS, ELEANOR J eleanord at email.sc.edu
Mon Nov 9 16:51:19 EST 2020

Hello Ag&Climate Cluster!

Tomorrow we have a telecon with a special guest!

Batu Osmanoglu is a Research Physical Scientist; NASA Earth Science Disasters Program<https://disasters.nasa.gov/>. His talk is titled “NASA Goddard Disasters Team and its Activities”

Disasters can strike anytime, anywhere on the planet with often headline-grabbing impacts. NASA’s Disasters Program conducts research and end-user engagement activities to guide situational awareness for actionable planning, communication, and adaptation. The NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Disasters Working Group (WG) is organized under the Applied Sciences Program at Goddard. In addition to the activities and data products contributed by the Disasters WG members, there are also several NASA ROSES-funded projects being conducted by Goddard scientists for algorithm development. In this talk, we will look at the ongoing disasters activities, with a special focus on cascading disasters. Examples from select studies will highlight the various methods being used to monitor both slowly evolving (e.g., food security and changing climate) and rapidly evolving (e.g., landslides blocking rivers) situations.

Join us tomorrow, November 10th

3:00 pm Eastern

2:00 pm Central

1:00 pm Mountain