[Esip-agclimate] ESIP 2021 summer meeting proposal: for review and comments

Brian Wee bwee at massiveconnections.com
Wed Apr 14 10:43:11 EDT 2021

Hello cluster,

Session proposals for the ESIP 2021 summer meeting are due this Friday
April 16.  Bill and I have crafted a session proposal titled "Identifying
technology capabilities that meet wildfire science and practitioner
requirements" which is now available for comments at
https://tinyurl.com/esipaccsummer2021.  Please let us know if you have any
thoughts by Thursday April 15 evening.  The session description is pasted
in the body of this email for your convenience.  Thanks.

*** SESSION DESCRIPTION ***

Environmental risks come at a very high cost.  A recent study on the
comprehensive cost of wildfires estimates that the 2018 California
wildfires cost the state around $150B and thousands of deaths.  In this
proposed session, the Agriculture and Climate Cluster (ACC) will continue
to lead transdisciplinary-oriented discussions focused on both science and
technology topics for managing such environmental risks.  The organizing
principle for the session will be based on using technology for data and
knowledge management for repurposing digital resources for wildfire
mitigation planning and managing wildfire response.

Credible, open, and traceable data and knowledge are essential for (1)
wildfire risk analysis, (2) mitigation planning, (3) response, and (4)
recovery planning.  We propose to focus only on the second and third
“steps” in this trace of how data and knowledge may be generated and
repurposed for wildfire management.  We adopt this focus because our
cluster has already created digital products (e.g. concept maps and
prototype ingests of such maps into a graph database), discussions, and
ESIP meeting sessions based largely on wildfire mitigation and response.
In this session, we shall discuss how capabilities like semantic
technologies and machine learning can repurpose data and knowledge
developed for wildfire mitigation to meet wildfire response needs.  In a
similar vein, how can data and knowledge developed for wildfire response
needs be repurposed for wildfire mitigation?

- Brian