[ESIP-all] Measuring Vegetation Health is on-line!

John Pickle jpickle at mos.org
Fri Dec 9 11:32:54 EST 2005

Dear ESIP Colleague,

The NASA-funded project, "Measuring Vegetation Health: Using Light to
Look at Our World" has a web presence!

http://mvh.sr.unh.edu

We are working to create a website that functions in a similar manner as
a museum: visitors may select their pathways to explore the science and
technology of light, the science of plants, and the science, technology,
and human implications of environmental monitoring.  For teacher use, we
will create suggested pathways to use the materials based on topic and
grade.  The website will evolve considerably over time, and we would
value your suggestions, ideas, connections, and resources to help us
meet our goals.

If you have data bases and/or research or outreach efforts you feel
relate to our project, such as maps/images of vegetation indices, air
quality, soil moisture, invasive species, agricultural maps, soil maps,
etc., please send us an e-mail or talk with us during the January ESIP
meeting.

Please share the offer in which our project will host images of those
who install PicturePosts in their backyards, schools, community centers,
parks, and science centers (http://mvh.sr.unh.edu/announcements.htm and
http://picturepost.smugmug.com/).  As the network of ground-level
pictures expands, we will be able to see and study the dynamic response
of local ecosystems over time.

I would like to talk with anyone who feels their research could use
"repeat" photographs from the ground, possibly as a ground truth method
or as an outreach aid to help users understand what they are looking at
with satellite imagery.

Looking forward to catching up with people in January.

John

--

John Pickle
Program Manager for Global Systems Science
jpickle at mos.org