[ESIP-all] REMINDER: ESIP Products & Services telecon today, 1:30 PM eastern

jeff.arnfield Jeff.Arnfield at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 25 13:21:52 EDT 2007

All,

A reminder that the ESIP Products and Services Committee telecon will be
held today.

*Prod & Svc telecon*
*Tues Sep 25th * at *1:30 PM ET*
Dial:  800-508-7631
Access Code:   *1297219*

One of the tasks of interest has long been developing a comprehensive
inventory of earth science information assets, including not only
traditional data products and services but also web services, software,
analytical services, etc.    The EIE Portal would both benefit from and
support such an inventory, as would the ongoing semantic web and
ontology work.  We held a brief workshop at the Summer meeting in
Madison (raw results attached), but there are many questions yet to be
addressed (a rough list of some is attached)

The term "inventory" is used broadly in our communities to represent a
variety of information needs.  Comments on developing an inventory have
ranged from "how does this differ from the metadata collected now in
FGDC, ISO and DIFF format?" to "Isn't this just a duplication of
effort?" to "We need to adopt lighter weight protocols for dealing with
this information" to "this will fulfill a major need."

Getting a variety of viewpoints, perspectives and ideas is critical to
defining a useful structure and approach.  I invite anyone with interest
to participate in these sessions.

I'd like to discuss
1) What capabilities an inventory can offer to complement EIE work
2) What current efforts can be leveraged to provide the framework and
help populate and inventory
3) How to best use the winter meeting to define specific inventory
requirements and determine which are not adequately addressed in current
metadata catalogs

Regards,

Jeff

--