[ESIP-all] Strategic Planning

Charles Hutchinson chuck at Ag.arizona.edu
Fri Oct 5 15:09:26 EDT 2007

Dear ESIP Federation Partners and Friends:

The ESIP Federation has been in the midst of a tremendous period of
growth, change and vision. As the organization has grown from 24
original partners to more than 100, change was inevitable. From its
creation by NASA, to the current support from NOAA and EPA (in addition
to the continued support from NASA), the ESIP Federation has broadened
its membership, priorities and scope. In the 3 years since the last
strategic plan was developed, change seems to have accelerated. I am
pleased to announce that we are undertaking another strategic planning
process, which I expect will provide a roadmap for the ESIP Federation
into the next decade.

To kick off the strategic planning process, I would like to invite you
to share your thoughts about the ESIP Federation by completing an online
survey. A team of ESIP Federation Officers and Representatives (Rob
Raskin, Bruce Caron, Jami Montgomery, Kerry Handron, Stefan Falke, Chris
Lenhardt and I) constitute the Strategic Planning Working Group. (See
the charge
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/images/f/f0/Charge_to_Strategic_Planning_Working_Group.pdf>
to the Strategic Planning Working Group.) Our first activity is to
survey you, the ESIP Federation’s most important asset. We value what
you have to say and will use your input to help make the ESIP Federation
a stronger organization for the next decade and beyond. We will work, in
conjunction with the ESIP Federation’s Executive Committee, to draft a
new strategic plan. We hope to share the preliminary findings of that
plan with you in January 2008 at the Washington, DC area ESIP Federation
meeting.

Please take a few minutes to complete the online survey. We have posted
several reference documents for you to consider when answering these
questions. Please visit the ESIP Federation wiki
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Executive_Committee#Strategic_Planning_Working_Group>
to check out many of the documents that we will be using to guide our
work. The survey software allows you to complete the survey in waves if
you are unable to complete it in one sitting. I estimate that the survey
will take 20 minutes to complete. The survey will remain open for
approximately 30 days. You may access the survey by clicking here
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=4O9r4TlAY1rxVyVWxeWUog_3d_3d>.

I very much appreciate your dedication and willingness to offer us your
insight. If you have any questions about this process, please feel free
to contact me or any other member of the Strategic Planning Working
Group. My email address is chuck at ag.arizona.edu
<mailto:chuck at ag.arizona.edu>.

Best regards,

Charles Hutchinson