[ESIP-all] 2008 Ocean Sciences Meeting: Special Session on Absolute Accuracy of Space-borne Sea Surface Temperature

Ken Casey Kenneth.Casey at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 6 08:57:05 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,  [apologies for multiple postings[

We encourage you to submit an abstract to our 2008 Ocean Sciences
special session on the Absolute Accuracy of Space-borne Sea Surface
Temperature (Session 149):

The sea surface temperature (SST) data sets provided by space-borne
radiometers now constitute a critical record for quantifying and
understanding global change. The capability of satellites to provide
global data offers a unique way to study trends and variability of
surface temperatures over many years, and the potential to evaluate
and enhance the long-term in situ SST record. Such applications
require high accuracy and stability in the space-borne SSTs. However,
each satellite SST record has unique features including spatial and
temporal resolution, record length, instrumental artefacts, and
algorithmic uncertainties. Understanding these differences is
essential, and requires a detailed analysis of individual retrieval
techniques, methods for merging data sets, and rigorous validation.
In addition, assessing the absolute accuracy of the satellite SSTs
requires high quality in situ radiometers that are fixed to
standards. By establishing conventions for satellite data,
international efforts like the GODAE High Resolution SST project have
set in place frameworks for more rapidly assessing the absolute
accuracy of space-borne SSTs. Submissions are invited that present
recent developments in the field, such as retrieval methods and
validation, provision of high quality in situ data, methods of data
comparison and merging, and the use of space-borne SSTs in various
applications.

The abstract deadline for the 2008 Ocean Sciences meeting is fast
approaching (midnight, Oct 2, 2007, 23:59 US, CDT) and the meeting
will be held March2 -7, 2008, in Orlando, Florida. See  http://
www.aslo.org/orlando2008 for more information and abstract submission
guidelines.

Please note there are several other SST-related sessions, so this
meeting promises to be an important and exciting one:

Session 148, Multi-Sensor Sea Surface Temperature Analyses
Session 023, Space-Based Measurements of Ocean Climate Change
Session 036: Scientific results from global and regional ocean syntheses
Session 105, Diurnal Variability in the Surface Ocean and in Air-Sea
Interaction
Session 171: US GODAE: Ocean prediction with the HYbrid Coordinate
Ocean Model (HYCOM)

These sessions are complementary.  For our session, 149, we strongly
encourage submissions involving the use of high-accuracy SST data or
the improvement of absolute accuracy in SST measurement techniques.
Areas of interest include the development of new retrieval
algorithms, the “art” of infrared calibration, the specification and
practice of validation methodologies, the provision of high quality
in situ SST data from buoys and radiometers, error characterisation
and single-sensor error statistics, the analysis and application of
long-term SST data sets, and of course efforts related to future
observing systems.  We hope you will submit an abstract to session
149 and join us in Orlando for an exciting meeting!

Again, note that the deadline for abstract submission is midnight,
Oct 2, 2007 (23:59 US, CDT).

Yours,

Session Organizers: Gary K. Corlett, University of Leicester,
gkc1 at le.ac.uk; Peter J. Minnett, RSMAS, University of Miami,
pminnett at rsmas.miami.edu; Kenneth S. Casey, NOAA National
Oceanographic Data Center, Kenneth.Casey at noaa.gov

Kenneth S. Casey, Ph.D.