[ESIP-all] A Time for Change

Dick Wertz dick.wertz at earthsciencefoundation.org
Wed Jan 16 09:31:21 EST 2008

All
    In September of 2002, I took on a part-time, short-term consulting assignment aimed at helping a small group of NASA-funded earth observation information providers to move their organization from a prototype entity to a broad-based operational consortium.  Somehow that simple organizing task evolved into a six-year roller-coaster ride that has given me some of the most demanding and satisfying challenges and opportunities of my professional career.  As I watched the ESIP membership, now well over 100 strong, interact with NOAA, NASA and EPA last week during the winter meeting, I couldn't help but think that the objectives of my original contract have been pretty well satisfied.  Given this, the time has come for me to find new windmills to tilt.  I will be resigning from my position as executive director effective January 31st.  At the Board's request, I will be available on a limited basis during for the next few months to ensure a smooth transition.
    My plan after January 31st is to seek out and involve myself in projects aimed at delivering climate and environmental information to the general public and decision-makers in formats that they can understand and use.
    On a personal note, even more that the professional experience of the last six years, I have cherished the relationships that I have established within the ESIP community.  You are good people doing the right things in areas of critical importance and you will always have my respect, support and friendship.  I look forward to enjoying your company and working with you again in the future.

With warmest regards, Dick Wertz

Richard C. Wertz, Executive Director
Foundation for Earth Science
3839 Calmes Neck Lane