[ESIP-all] Important Data session at AGU

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Wed Aug 27 16:28:52 EDT 2008

Fellow ESIPers,

I wish to call your attention to a unique session at AGU this year
that could be of interest to many ESIP Federation members--"U08 The
Library - Data Center Alliance in Earth and Space Sciences."

In this session we seek to broaden and raise the profile of some of
the discussion that has been occurring in the Federation for years. We
have lined up some excellent invited speakers, and the session is
getting good attention and will have high visibility as a Union
session. We are getting good interest from the library world, but I
want to be sure we get good submissions from data centers and their
ilk too. Please consider submitting an abstract.

Abstracts are due 10 Sept. at http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm08/index.php/Program/HomePage

Cheers,

-m.

Session U08: The Library - Data Center Alliance in Earth and Space
Sciences
Conveners: Mark A. Parsons, National Snow and Ice Data Center, and
Rajendra Bose, Columbia University Center for Digital Research and
Scholarship

Invited Speakers:
Peter Burnhill--EDINA Data Centre, University of Edinburgh (invited)
Christopher Fox--Director, National Geophysical Data Center
(confirmed)
Carlos Morais-Pires--European Commission eScience initiative (confirmed)
James Neal--Dean, Columbia University Library (confirmed)
Lucy Nowell--National Science Foundation Office of Cyberinfrastructure
(invited)

growing collection of Earth and space science data and information
require sustained commitment and diverse expertise. Recent reports
from national and international scientific organizations increasingly
emphasize professional and collaborative approaches to managing data
and information, especially supporting interdisciplinary science. The
electronic Geophysical Year (eGY) promotes this professional
development and collaboration. In particular, eGY recognizes the
conceptual alliance between today's research libraries and scientific
data centers, and promotes partnerships, collaboration and even
hybrids of these two types of enterprises to meet the Earth science
informatics challenge.

Research libraries have a long, sustained, and respected role as
curators of Earth science information and knowledge. Yet, in recent
decades, scientific data centers have also played an increasingly
important role in stewarding Earth science data and information.
Libraries seek to extend their expertise to manage new forms of
digital publication, including data. Data centers seek to develop
sustained, long-term archival systems. It is apparent; the two
communities should collaborate to achieve their complementary
objectives.

This session aims to bring together members of both the research
libraries and the data center communities to survey and compare
approaches, philosophies, and long-term strategies for dealing with
the problems of managing digital scientific data collections, and
invites submissions regarding issues and approaches for archiving,
serving, and curating such collections. An emphasis on support of
interdisciplinary science is encouraged.

--
Mark A. Parsons
Manager, International Polar Year Data and Information Service