[ESIP-all] AGU Cowen Award for sustained achievement in science journalism

Tamara Ledley tamara_ledley at terc.edu
Thu Jan 29 09:07:09 EST 2009

Hi Everyone,
   I am on the AGU Cowen Award committee and am soliciting potential
nominations for the award.  I thought this might be a good group to ask
for suggestions.  Here is what the award is specifically for.
The Cowen Award recognizes sustained achievement in science journalism. It
is given to an individual or an associated group who has made significant,
lasting, and consistent contributions to accurate reporting on the
geophysical sciences for the general public in print or electronic media.
   Can any of you suggest anyone who fits this discription?  For context
past award winners include Dick Kerr, the long-time reporter for Science;
David Perlman, who has covered science for the San Francisco Chronicle
since time immemorial; Robert Cowen himself who was the science editor at
the Christian Science Monitor; Paula Apsell with NOVA; and most recently
in 2006, Tom Siegfried who had been the long-time science editor at the
Dallas Morning News (before they canned the whole department).
Thanks
Tamara
Tamara Shapiro Ledley, PhD
Senior Scientist, TERC