[ESIP-all] Emerging Issues in e-Science

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Tue Aug 11 11:57:58 EDT 2009

Esteemed colleagues in data,

This is different sort of AGU session. We're looking for new
perspectives and ideas. Concepts that challenge conventional thought.
How can we create a new, fully open culture of data sharing? The
issues are technical, social, and a combination of the two.

We provide some ideas, and have clever invitees from different
disciplines, but submit an abstract and tell us what *you* think are
important emerging issues.

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/program/abstract_submissions.php

Cheers,

Mark, Ruth, Deborah, Rahul

IN13: Emerging Issues in e-Science: Collaboration, Provenance, and the
Ethics of Data

Data are central to Earth and space science. Sharing, understanding,
and using such data leads to many questions. Where did the data come
from? How was it created? What am I allowed to do with it? How can I
collaborate with my partners in using it? This session will focus on
three emerging issues, briefly described below, that surround the use
of data in science: Collaboration, Provenance and the Ethics of Data.

A significant challenge to facilitating collaborations in informatics
and cyberinfrastructure projects is the availability of suitable
collaboration environments. While there has been an explosion of tools
and greater provisioning of interactive user-contributed web-based
content, it is still true that collaboration systems and related
software are far from robust and complete.

Providing thorough provenance information, sufficient to guarantee
that it is possible to understand and reproduce a data set adds to the
credibility and usefulness of the entire measurement and data
processing effort.

People increasingly repurpose data in ways unforeseen and
unforeseeable by the original investigator or user community. This
data sharing and reuse imply certain ethical obligations for both data
producers and users. These obligations include ensuring that data are
shared openly and preserved for future generations, that data authors
receive fair attribution, that data are as accurate as possible, that
uncertainty is well described, and that data are not used
inappropriately.

Invited Speakers
Al Fleig, PITA Analytic Sciences, on provenance and shared source code
Beth Plale, Indiana University, on provenance for workflows.
Brian Wilson, JPL, on collaboration and shared services
Dawn Wright, Oregon State University, on developing ethical practice
in the next generation

Convener:
Deborah L McGuinness
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute