[ESIP-all] 2009-08 SoCal Fires EventSpace

Erin Robinson emr1 at wustl.edu
Sun Aug 30 22:27:22 EDT 2009

Hi All,
At the ESIP Summer
meeting<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/July_7-10%2C_2009%2C_ESIP_Federation_Meeting%2C_Santa_Barbara%2C_CA>,
one of the FUNDing Friday projects awarded was Air
Twitter<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Twitter_FUNding_Friday_Project>.
The project created a harvesting service that harvests tweets that mention
air quality from twitter, delicious bookmarks that were tagged with Air
Quality as well as other AQ user-generated content. The harvested content is
retweeted with #AirQuality tag through the twitter feed
(@ESIPAQWG<http://twitter.com/ESIPAQWG>) and
tracked over time to identify the normal AQ background chatter as well as AQ
events (time series <http://pocus.wustl.edu/AQEar/graph.html>).

Wednesday, Aug. 26, I started to notice an increase in tweets surrounding
the Morris Fire<http://news.google.com/news?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Morris+Fire&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=-DGbStThKNTgnQffuf25BQ&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=1>in
Southern California. I created a wiki EventSpace
for the Morris Fire <http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/0908SoCalFire> to
capture additional content from the web like photos, video, discussion and
AQ data related to the fire. However in the next few days this event has
expanded to several fires in S. Cal and the EventSpace has been renamed to
0809SoCalFires <http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/0908SoCalFire>. I would
invite all of you to check it out and contribute if you've got content
directly to the EventSpace, or you can e-mail me (emr1 at wustl.edu). Since
this is first eventspace created from the Air Twitter project any
suggestions on the EventSpace itself and exposing it to a broad audience
would be appreciated.

Here are a few interesting things that the twitter community has brought up:
UCLA Astronomy Webcam
<http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/images/towercam.jpg>, time
lapse video <http://vimeo.com/6335740> of smoke 2009-08-29, and current AQ
Index <http://www2.aqmd.gov/webappl/gisaqi2/VEMap3D.aspx> from AQMD.

Hope all in S. Cal are staying safe, particularly those at
JPL<http://twitpic.com/fo29u>
-

Thanks in advance for any help, recreational analysis or info you provide to
this project!
Erin

--
Erin Robinson