[ESIP-all] Let us showcase your data and animations

Patricia Reiff reiff at rice.edu
Tue Jan 5 12:02:49 EST 2010

Dear ESIP partners:

  We are putting together the 2010 version of our "Earth Update" CD.
We will be increasing the size from CD to (data) DVD so we have some
extra space for additional imagery, animations, movie clips, and
activities.  We would love to highlight your research results, your
algorithms, etc.   Each item needs a text metafile with a caption, a
link to your site "for more information", credits, and a source url
for the image.  If the image updates periodically (hourly, daily,
monthly), we also want the updating url (PLEASE with a name that does
not change from day to day - e.g. oceanheightoday.jpg - and preferably
not from year to year!).   Images can be .gif, .jpg, or .png.
Animations can be animated gif, .mov, or .mpg.  Activities are
generally pdf's that can be downloaded.

Some of our content is available online at
http://earth.rice.edu/mtpe/spheres.html

The activities are available online at
http://earth.rice.edu/activities/earthupdate/activities.html

You can see how we organize the software - by sphere (atmosphere,
biosphere, cryosphere, geosphere, hydrosphere).
Each sphere has three sections:  "What's hot" - new or exciting
results; "topics" - standard topics like textbook; "latest data" -
data maps or plots that update periodically.

Right now we have headers by questions (i.e. "what is an el nino?")
but we may just change to a subject line ("El Nino").  I also hope to
have a search function as well.

If you are at the ESIP meeting this week in DC, come by my Discovery
Dome at the poster session and pick up one of the existing Earth
Update CD's.  (Also see our new "Impact Earth" show and pick up one of
our planetarium show DVDs!)

We are also updating our "Force 5" show about hurricanes, tornadoes,
and space storms... if you have animations, etc that we can use for
that show (or links to more information) please let me know that as
well.

We will have the new version ready before the NSTA meeting in March
(that ESIP will be showcasing in).

Also, if you haven't voted in the AGU elections, I can strongly
recommend my friend Jim Burch for AGU President.  He has both vision
and effectivenes..

Hope to see you soon!!

...Pat

         ^
       /     \     Prof. Patricia H. Reiff
      /        \      Director, Rice Space Institute
    / _^ ^_ \     Rice University MS108, Houston, TX 77251-1892
   / /  O O  \ \     email:  reiff at rice.edu
  /  \    V    /  \     www:  http://space.rice.edu/~reiff/
  | \  ""U""  / |    "Why does man want to go to the Moon?
    | _/|\ /|\_ |   .. Why does Rice play Texas?"..JFK, Rice Stadium,
1962

!DSPAM:5731,4b436dd4135214001818741!