[ESIP-all] Conventions for Data Discovery

Ted Habermann Ted.Habermann at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 3 15:13:34 EST 2010

Hello all,

Today during the interoperability rant we discussed the importance of
consistent representations for documentation in order to take
advantage of lessons we have learned over the years from OPeNDAP as we
start sharing documentation in addition to data. I suggested that the
ISO Standards are actually the equivalent of the DAP protocol in this
effort. I also mentioned the draft Unidata netCDF Attribute
Conventions for Data Discovery. These are available in netCDF, THREDDS
and ISO at
https://www.nosc.noaa.gov/dmc/swg/wiki/index.php?title=NetCDF_Attribute_Convention_for_Dataset_Discovery
  (this page has a self-signed certificate so you need a security
exception in Firefox). That page has links to the original Unidata page.

I wrote the ISO crosswalk on this page and would certainly appreciate
comments, questions or suggestions...

Ted

    Enterprise Data Systems Group Leader
    NOAA, National Geophysical Data Center