[ESIP-all] Save the date: Improving Observing Network Coordination: May 17-19, 2010

Peter Fox pfox at cs.rpi.edu
Tue Feb 9 14:48:57 EST 2010

Save the date and pass on to your colleagues.

Improving Observing Network Coordination:  A Cyberinformatics Forum,
May 17-19, 2010

The number of NSF-supported environmental observing projects has grown
steadily over the last few years.  Significant recent additions
include OOI, NEON, and AON, and planning and definition of additional
activities is underway.  During this same period, rapid progress in
communication and information technologies and other aspects of
cyberinfrastructure (CI) have continued to create new possibilities
for integration and coordination across observing systems.  And the
interdisciplinary research activities and user communities that desire
data from multiple sources continue to grow.  The NCAR-hosted
Cyberobservatories project has been examining technical and
organizational issues within and across observing projects for the
last 4 years. We are organizing a May, 2010 forum to build on this
work, continue the ongoing discussion among observatories and CI
practitioners, and identify opportunities for:

·       Enhancing the usability and productivity of observing systems

·       Building linkages among systems to support interdisciplinary
research

·       Reducing or overcoming barriers to collaboration across
observing projects

·       Improving the coordination among NSF-sponsored environmental
observing projects and between these projects and relevant efforts
supported by other agencies.

The forum will produce a short series of specific, community-based
findings and conclusions for NSF to consider as it continues to define
and manage its CI and observing system portfolios.

We have reached a critical junction at the nexus of technology,
integration, and capacity that necessitates thoughtful input from all
corners of our community if we are to successfully achieve the promise
of CI for environmental observations. Please join us May 17-19 in
Boulder, CO and lend your voice and perspective.

Further broad announcement with more details, how to register and
background will be sent in February.

Point of contact: Greg Guibert - guibert at ucar.edu