[ESIP-all] [Spg-announce] Request for Comments: NASA use of the ECHO Metadata Model

Ullman, Richard E. (GSFC-5860) richard.e.ullman at nasa.gov
Thu Apr 15 09:08:32 EDT 2010

Dear NASA Stakeholder,

The NASA Earth Science Data Systems Working Group (ESDSWG) for Standards is conducting a review of the ECHO Metadata Model specification that is proposed for wider use within the NASA earth science community.  Before we can make a recommendation, the Standards Process Group (SPG) needs to understand the extent of experience, good or bad, with respect to use, implementation or suitability of this metadata model among stakeholders.

The scope of the present review is "implementation experience with" and/ or the "operational suitability of" the ECHO Metadata Model specification.  We have forwarded these questions to you because you may have experience with this specification. Please respond with comments as relevant.

The SPG is charged with recommending data systems standards that will enhance interoperation of Earth science data systems within the agency and with partnering organizations.  We do this through open review of standards submitted by community stakeholders for endorsement by NASA.  It is absolutely essential that members of communities that may be impacted by proposed standards provide input in this process.

If you have experience in using the ECHO Metadata Model or supporting software tools (e.g., as a data provider, data consumer, software developer or user), we'd like to hear from you. Suggested comment areas for the ECHO Metadata Model specification are attached.  The specification and supporting documents can also be found here:

ECHO Metadata Model RFC:    http://www.esdswg.net/spg/rfc/esds-rfc-020/ESDS-RFC-020v0.05.pdf

ECHO Metadata Model Survey Questions:    http://www.esdswg.net/spg/rfc/esds-rfc-020/Survey-for-ECHO-RFC-020.doc

ECHO Metadata Model User Guide:     http://www.esdswg.net/spg/rfc/esds-rfc-020/ECHO-10-Data-Partner-User-Guide-v-10.6.pdf

Please e-mail your comments before May 15 to spg-rfc-020 at lists.nasa.gov