[ESIP-all] REMINDER: Fall AGU Session IN18 - Future Directions for Earth Science Data Access Technologies (Deadline: Sept 2)

David J Meyer dmeyer at usgs.gov
Thu Aug 19 15:18:42 EDT 2010

We would like to use AGU Session IN18 as a forum to present new concepts
and technologies for the providing Earth Science Data to researchers,
educators and the general public. Central themes to be considered are:
standards for interoperability between data providers and centers,
semantic concepts, data discovery and access, as well as the use of novel
technologies, such as mobile access, virtual globe applications, web
widgets and social media for data discovery & delivery. Although
submissions by EOSDIS collaborators are strongly encouraged, we would also
welcome contributions by private industry, non-governmental organizations,
and international collaborators (such as those engaged in CEOS & GEO -
related activities).

We are pleased to announce Session IN18 on Future Directions for Earth
Science Data Access Technologies at the 2010 Fall AGU meeting on 13-18
December 2010 in San Francisco, California.

Please consider submitting an abstract for this Earth and Space Science
Informatics session.
 AGU 2010 Meeting information is available at
http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/index.php

Please note ? the deadline for abstracts is 2 September 2010.

Session IN18: Future Directions for Earth Science Data Access
Technologies: Today's researchers use multiple methods to find and get
data from the many Earth science data centers. NASA's Earth Observing
System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) is a network of centers that
collect and provide internet access to Earth science data from the EOS
spacecraft. The centers are organized by science discipline and develop
data discovery and access tools tailored to their community. They also
provide metadata for their holdings to the EOS Clearing House (ECHO) so
users can access all EOSDIS data through a single client. This session
explores the directions that Earth science data centers plan for these
services: user-centric portals, interoperability among centers, use of
standards such OGC and the OpenDAP.

We would also like to encourage the submission of abstracts on the novel
use of personalized and mobile access technologies, such as smart phone
and virtual globe applications, web widgets, semantic concepts and social
media for discovering and retrieving Earth science information.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for considering this
opportunity to share your research and applications insights.

Sincerely

John F Moses
John.f.moses at nasa.gov

David Meyer