[ESIP-all] ESIP IT & Interop Telecon Sept 1 2010 at 01:00 PM CT

Dr. Rahul Ramachandran rramachandran at itsc.uah.edu
Mon Aug 30 10:45:41 EDT 2010

Rant and Rave Presentation:

“Provenance collection as a commodity and representation as a necessity”

by Beth Plale, Indiana University

Provenance or lineage of simple or complex data objects is essential to
the reuse of the object because it enables among other things, proper
attribution, assessment of quality, etc. For a provenance collection
tool to be broadly beneficial, however, it must be flexible in how it
gathers information. In this talk we discuss extensions to the Karma
provenance collection and representation system that we are undertaking
to make the tool useful to a broad set of users. We further discuss the
need for provenance interoperability and alternate forms of archival
representation.

Beth’s Bio

Beth Plale is Director of the Data To Insight Center of the Pervasive
Technology Institute, and associate professor in the School of
Informatics and Computing. Her Ph.D. focused on real time monitoring to
detect behaviors of remote objects. This is her 9th year at Indiana
University preceded by a Postdoctoral Fellow position at Georgia
Institute of Technology, a PhD from SUNY Binghamton, and a stint in
industry.

Other Agenda Items:

Formation of ESIP Provenance Cluster
- Cluster leads: Hook (?), Peter (?), others

Cluster Objectives:
- Coordinate provenance activities within the ESIP community
- Ensure that an interoperable solution is developed by the different
members
- Promote Provenance technology within ESIP
- Coordinate with other clusters with overlapping interest

Call In Info

1. Please join my meeting, Wednesday, September 01 at 01:00 PM CDT.
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/121003672

2. Join the conference call:

Dial 218-844-4934
Access Code: 121-003-672

Meeting ID: 121-003-672

GoToMeeting®
Online Meetings Made Easy™

--

Rahul Ramachandran Ph.D.
Deputy Editor -  Earth Science Informatics [ESIN]