[ESIP-all] ESIP Federation Job Opening
carolbmeyer at esipfed.org
Thu Oct 7 22:17:17 EDT 2010
Please feel free to circulate this announcement to colleagues who might be interested in a job opportunity with the ESIP Federation.
Position Title: Information and Virtual Community Director
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt (40 hours/week + benefits)
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Information and Virtual Community Director is responsible for managing the Foundation’s online assets (website, databases, wiki, listservs, etc.), communication program, community development, member outreach, and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Manage and develop the ESIP Federation’s website, wiki <http://wiki.esipfed.org>, databases and social media, including taking steps toward integration of these resources.
▪ Provide technical resources to maximize collaboration opportunities among ESIP Federation members.
▪ Maintain partner and other organizational databases to reflect information updates.
▪ Develop policies for the ESIP Federation’s web resources with respect to content contribution and user roles.
▪ Ensure installation of regular updates to software, security and emerging features.
▪ Stay informed about available tools for improving ESIP Federation communication, collaboration and efficiency.
* Provide staff support to ESIP Federation collaborations (Committees, Working Groups and Clusters), including taking minutes at telecons and providing technical assistance, as needed.
▪ Work with ESIP Federation Committees, Working Groups and Clusters to support community growth and the development of targeted activities.
* Communicate regularly with ESIP Federation members through regular website content updates, newsletters, email, grant opportunities, social media, and other evolving methods.
* Perform outreach to external audiences including representing the ESIP Federation at professional meetings.
* Assist with planning for semi-annual meetings and other special events, including meeting logistics and on-site meeting support.
* Provide other support as requested.
* Strong technical skills including an understanding of database management, website development (using Drupal), wiki, and other social media, and the willingness to learn and apply new technical skills.
* Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to be responsive to the technical needs of applied scientists
* Strong skills in the use of standard computer software packages (word processing, spreadsheet and database management).
* Organized, outgoing, creative, and tenacious personality who is comfortable working with scientists and technology professionals. Exceptional discipline, independence and attention to detail are required as this position is home-based.
* Ability to think on one’s feet and act quickly when needed.
Education and Experience
Undergraduate or graduate degree required in informatics, Earth/environmental sciences, communications, or related area.
* Interests in Earth/environmental sciences and the use of scientific information.
* Experience supporting networking within collaborative organizations.
* Capabilities to help spawn and nurture new collaborations.
The Information and Virtual Community Director must be able to travel to 2 meetings annually (January and July), with moderate additional travel.
About the ESIP Federation
The ESIP Federation is a networking consortium of 120 Earth science data and technology interests. Its member organizations share a common desire to work collaboratively to maximize the use and value of Earth science data and information. Members include major data centers, educational organizations, and commercial entities <http://www.esipfed.org/earth-science-information-partners>. The ESIP Federation is administered by the Foundation for Earth Science, a 501(c)3 organization. (www.esipfed.org)
Send a letter of interest, resume, names/contact information of 3 professional references and salary requirements to carol.meyer at esipfed.org. The application process will be confidential and references will not be contacted initially.
Carol B. Meyer
Foundation for Earth Science
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: JobDescription_Information and Virtual Community Director_FINAL.pdf
Size: 49364 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the ESIP-all