[ESIP-all] Registration Now Open for Winter ESIP Federation Meeting

Carol Meyer carolbmeyer at esipfed.org
Fri Oct 29 07:01:11 EDT 2010

It's time to begin thinking about early 2011 and the upcoming ESIP
Federation meeting. The (Meeting) Visioneers Working Group has put together
the framework for what will be a challenging and informative program.  This
meeting will be centered on Evaluating and Maximizing the Impact of Earth
Science Information.  We will be hearing from professional evaluators,
program managers and community members who can help steer our community's
understanding of how to better measure the value and impact of what we both
individually and collectively do.

Meeting Venue

The 2010 Winter ESIP Federation Meeting will be held January 4-6, 2011 in
Washington, DC at the Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel (1145
New Hampshire Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20007). Rooms at the Renaissance are
available for single/double occupancy for $229/night (plus applicable
taxes). Reservations can be made by calling (202-775-0800) and requesting
the ESIP Meeting rate or can be booked online
<http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/WASRW?groupCode=ESIESIA&app=resvlink&
fromDate=1/3/11&toDate=1/7/11//> . The room block is limited with rooms
available on a first-come, first-served basis. The cut-off date for
reservations is December 3, 2010 or when the room block is full, whichever
comes first.

Registration

Registration for the 2011 Winter ESIP Federation Meeting will be available
on November 1. Early registration (through December 3, 2010) is $375/members
and $475/non-members. After December 3, the registration fee rises to $475
(members) and $575 (non-members). A special registration is available for
students and teachers for $150. A one-day attendance is available upon
request. Registration for the meeting begins here
<http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=893162> .

Program

The 2011 Winter ESIP Federation Meeting will focus on Evaluating and
Maximizing the Impact of Earth Science Information. Speakers have been
invited to represent academic, public and philanthropic interests, all with
a goal toward understanding new ways to measure how Earth science
information is used. Breakout sessions will be led by several of the ESIP
Federation's committees, clusters and working groups addressing both the
technological and societal benefit approaches within our community. A
preliminary agenda is posted here
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Winter_2011_Agenda> .

Poster Session and Reception

As the main theme of this meeting is Evaluating and Maximizing the Impact of
Earth Science Information, the Federation wants to encourage posters that
are relevant to this topic. We expect a broad range of participants from the
Federation and local Agency offices, so this is your opportunity to show off
your innovations in the area of evaluation and describing impacts of your
work. Evaluation posters will be gathered into one section of the poster
room. If you have other topics to discuss, you can still contribute a
poster!  We also expect some excellent posters from education, IT, and the
various clusters. The poster session will be on the evening of January 4, in
conjunction with a reception.

This year, we will offer 2 prizes for posters that stand out to the
meeting's participants. The first is the Community Choice prize, voted on by
people in the room (each person gets a vote marker). The Community Choice
prize will be given to the poster that offers the best demonstration of ESIP
Federation collaboration. The second is the Theme prize, again voted on by
people in the room. The Theme prize is given to the poster that best fits
the meeting theme. ESIP Federation will cast votes in the event of a tie.
Prizes will be awarded, as will recognition in the post-meeting newsletter.

Check out the wiki
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/January_4-6,_2011_ESIP_Winter_Meeting,_Wa
shington,_DC>  for additional information and to watch the evolving program
take shape. I am looking forward to seeing you in January.

Regards,

Carol Meyer

Carol B. Meyer

Executive Director