[ESIP-all] Call for data management posters at World Climate Conference - Note the deadline for abstracts has been extended until 15 May.

Erin Robinson erinrobinson at esipfed.org
Mon May 2 14:02:53 EDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark A. Parsons <parsonsm at nsidc.org>
To: Mark A. Parsons <parsonsm at nsidc.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:12:10 -0600
Subject: Re: Call for data management posters at World Climate Conference
Note the deadline for abstracts has been extended until 15 May.

Cheers,

-m.
On 7 Apr 2011, at 7:28 AM, Mark A. Parsons wrote:

> Esteemed colleagues in data,
>
> Apologies for cross-posting. I want to bring your attention to a the World
Climate Research Program Open Science Conference 24-28 October 2011 in
Denver CO. http://www.wcrp-climate.org/conference2011/index.html

> This is a unique conference in that it covers all aspects of understanding
and predicting climate variability and change. It will bring together
diverse research communities that usually meet separately, and it is timed
to help establish future priorities for climate research. and  to provide
strategic input into the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report. Given the IPCC's
heightened emphasis on data transparency and accountability, it is important
to have a strong data management showing at the conference.

> Please consider submitting an abstract to Session C21: Data Management,
Archiving, and Access from Global to Local Scales (see description below)

> The deadline for applying for financial assistance is 15 April 2011. The
deadline for abstract submission is 30 April 2011.

> I look forward to seeing you in beautiful Colorado
>
> Cheers,
>
> -m.
>

> Session C21: Data Management, Archiving, and Access from Global to Local
Scales
> (conveners: D. Mocko, M. Parsons, D. Williams)
> This session will focus on the management, access, interoperability, and
use of various data products and services to enable scientific climate and
weather research. As the volume and complexity of data archives continue to
grow, with the addition of newer and finer-scale climate data sets, there is
an increasing need for new and advanced data management approaches and
services. One particular challenge is to have these data sets available in
the necessary formats and locations, such as on supercomputing and other
platforms, for scientific researchers. Furthermore, as data assimilation
techniques are used in more applications, better solutions to bringing the
data to the models will be required. There is a need for increased coherence
in formats, data structures, and management systems between multi-scale
models and diverse forcing, parameterization, assimilation, and validation
data.
> This session solicits papers on remote data access tools (OPeNDAP, GrADS
Data Server, OGC protocols, FTP, etc.), remote data services (sub-setting,
format conversion, media and image distribution, data analysis, etc.), data
set metadata and documentation, and methods to enhance interoperability
between these various services. Customized data services for specific
scientific applications will also be presented during this session. We
welcome posters describing management, access, and interoperability
solutions for data products on a wide range of spatial and temporal time
scales. We also welcome submissions on creative on-line data analysis
methods and approaches that will facilitate selection of key data
sets/features from large archives to avoid large-volume data transfers
across the web. Various international data archive and management groups are
encouraged to participate.