[ESIP-all] Monday ESIP Updates: Summer Meeting Data Quality Questions | ESIP Student Fellows Selected

Erin Robinson erinrobinson at esipfed.org
Mon May 16 15:50:38 EDT 2011

Hi All -

We are  two months out from the Summer ESIP
Meeting<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Summer_2011_Meeting>and more
pieces fall into place almost daily (registration/hotel info at the
bottom of this email). This past month some ESIP sub-groups have started to
look at how at least one of their breakout sessions can focus on these two
questions:
1. What does your group need for data quality? (i.e. for different
applications) Is frequency of data more important that precision?
2. What are the data quality methodologies in your community?

For details on all breakout sessions and tech workshops see the wiki page
for session details<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Summer_2011_Meeting_-_Session_Details>,
it is being continuously updated as more details become available.

*ESIP Student Fellows<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/ESIP_Student_Fellows>
:* As many of you know, this spring we created the ESIP Student Fellowship.
We had a great response from students across the country and with a wide
variety of research interests. All applicants were extremely qualified, so
it is very exciting to continue to develop more ways that we can engage
students. Last week, with the help of the Partnership Committee, we picked
seven Student Fellows for 2011-2012. The table below shows the selected
students. These students will start participating in group telecons this
month and will be actively participating in the ESIP Summer meetings, so
please join me in welcoming them!

     Name School Sub-Group  Oleg Aulov University of Maryland, Baltimore
County Info/Data Quality  Brent Maddux University of Wisconsin – Madison
Preservation  Yasmin Zaerpoor Columbia University Energy/Climate  Jesse
Roberts University of Wisconsin – Madison Education  Thomas Narcock University
of Maryland, Baltimore County Semantic Web  Eric Rozell RPI Discovery  Ratish
Menon IITB Air Quality

Thanks for reading and have a great week!

Erin

*Telecons this week: *
Discovery - Tues, 4-5 EST
Products and Services - Wed, 1-2 EST
Data Preservation - Thurs, 11-12 EST
Education - Thurs, 2-3 EST

*And telecon changes: *
Info Quality will not meet this week. They will meet next week same time.
For those involved in the Data Management Short Course, the group is
postponing their telecon scheduled for this Thursday. They will meet next
week as well.

*Meeting Details: *
Early bird registration goes through June 1. There is an ESIP group rate
available at Hotel LaFonda <http://www.lafondasantafe.com/> and Inn and Spa
of Loretto <http://www.innatloretto.com/>. You must call the hotel to get
the group rate.

A few meeting highlights:

   - Tuesday night - ESIP Pub Crawl, catch up with ESIP friends and make new
   ones
   - Wednesday - Poster session and reception
   - Thursday - The first IgniteESIP <http://ignite.oreilly.com/> - 20
   slides x 15 sec each = 5 min talk on your idea. If you are brave and want to
   try this format, let me know.
   - Friday - FUNding
Friday<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/FUNding_Friday_Projects>
   , Field trip to Valles Caldera National Park<http://www.vallescaldera.gov/>

FUNding Friday <http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/FUNding_Friday_Projects> is
a great opportunity to get seed funding for an idea you've had in a cluster
or among ESIP colleagues.  There is also a student branch of FUNding Friday.
Encourage students coming to the ESIP meeting to submit their ideas. All
winners will receive a cash prize and travel support to the Winter Meeting.

*Erin Robinson*
Information and Virtual Community Director
Foundation for Earth Science | 314.369.9954 | erinrobinson at esipfed.org
www.esipfed.org
[image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Federation-of-Earth-Science-Information-Partners-ESIP/150015055044779>
 [image: Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/ESIPFed> [image: